Professor and Aetna Chair of Writing. Storrs.
Specialties and Interest Areas in Research, Service, and Teaching:
Deaf Studies; Disability Studies; disability art and creative expression; universal design, multimodality and access to education; captioning; global disability issues; disability and human rights; teaching college writing; writing program administration; women in higher education; university and community engagement; creative non-fiction.
– Posting Mabel: an epistolary biography of Mabel Hubbard Bell (Alexander Graham Bell’s deaf wife)
– AktionT4: Economics,Euthanasia, Eugenics (a blog about the Nazi’s T4 program that exterminated over 240,000 people with disabilities): http://aktiont4.com/
– Disability and Rhetoric: an edited collection of key publications that intersect those two fields (with John Duffy and Drew Holladay)
Published Monographs and Collections:
– Arts and Humanities (vol 8). The SAGE Reference Series on Disability Key Issues and Future Directions. (with Elizabeth Brewer, Nicholas Hetrick and Melanie Yergeau). Sage Publications, 2012.
– Deaf Subjects: Between Identities and Places. New York UP, 2009.
– Disability and/in Prose. Co-editor with Marian E. Lupo. Routledge, 2008.
Journal Issues, Contributing Editor
– Diversability Ohio, Guest Editor, 2012-2013 Premiere Edition. http://www.diversabilityohio.com/index.html
– Prose Studies special double issue, “Disability and/in Prose.” 27.1-2 (2005).
– Sign Language Studies special double issue, “Narrating Deaf Lives.” 7.2 (2007).