Discrete Master of Arts Program (“Terminal MA”)

This program is for students who wish to pursue the M.A. degree but do not intend to go on for a Ph.D. Full-time students will be funded for two years.


  1. Time Limit
  2. Advisory Committee
  3. Coursework Requirements and Incompletes
  4. Residency and Language Requirements
  5. Plan of Study


Time Limit

Requirements for the Master’s degree should be completed within two years, though the Graduate School sets a six-year maximum on completion from the date of initial matriculation. A student must complete at least one course a year until course requirements are fulfilled. Student must maintain continuous registration throughout the graduate program.

Advisory Committee

M.A. work is guided by a Major Advisor appointed by the Graduate Director upon matriculation. Students should consult with the Major Advisor each semester about courses to be taken and other degree policies. Forms to change the Major Advisor are available in the Graduate English Office, and students are encouraged to select the Major Advisor most appropriate for their individual professional needs.

Coursework Requirements and Policy on Incompletes

MA students are required to complete 31 credits, usually in this pattern: seven credits in the first semester (English 5100: Theory and Teaching of Writing, three credits, English 5182: Practicum in the Teaching of Writing, one credit and English 5150: Research Methods, one credit, plus another three-credit course); nine credits in the second semester; six credits in the third semester; and nine credits in the fourth semester. Coursework must fulfill the following requirements:

  • English 5100
  • English 5182 (one credit)
  • English 5150 (one credit)
  • one course in theory (literary, cultural, rhet/comp; English 5500, 6500 or another approved course)
  • one course in texts in English before 1800
  • one course in texts in English after 1800

In addition, MA students must complete a final writing project in the second year, consisting in the revision of a seminar paper as a professional article of between 7000 and 8000 words, undertaken in consultation with an appropriate faculty advisor. (An independent study to revise the paper cannot be counted toward the coursework requirements for the degree.) The deadline for the submission of the final writing project is March 1. (Final writing projects will be evaluated by the MA Committee.)

Course work is normally undertaken at Storrs. Transfer of up to six course credits from another institution’s graduate program, or from non-degree graduate coursework undertaken at UCONN, may be accepted toward a Master’s degree at Storrs, provided that such credits are not used to earn a degree at the other institution.

The Graduate Executive Committee strongly discourages incompletes. However, incompletes taken under extraordinary circumstances must be completed within one month of the appointed course final examination time; students who fail to complete coursework within this timeframe will be placed on probationary status by the Graduate Executive Committee. Students with more than one incomplete at any given time may be dropped from the program after review by the Committee. Finally, students must maintain a 3.5 GPA in order to retain a Teaching Assistantship, and students doing less than B level work will ordinarily be dropped from the program.

Residency and Language Requirements

There are no residence or language requirements for the M.A. degree.

Plan of Study

The Plan of Study for the Master’s degree must be signed by the advisor, approved by the Graduate Office and submitted to the Graduate School by the end of the third semester for the degree.  In consultation with his or her Major Advisor, the student indicates the courses taken and to be taken in fulfillment of requirements. If any changes are necessary after submission of the Plan of Study, a “Request for Changes” form or a memo from the student’s advisor must be submitted to the Graduate School. The form may be obtained from the Graduate English Office, or from the Graduate School website.

Application for Graduation Form to receive the M.A. degree must be filed with the Graduate School through the PeopleSoft on-line system. Students should consult the current Graduate Academic Calendar for instructions and deadline for submitting this application.