FOR GRADUATE STUDENTS
STEP 1: OBTAIN FUNDING
- Request travel funds BEFORE taking your trip. Once granted, please keep a copy of the award notification and/or email sent to you to submit with reimbursement receipts.
- Some travel funds are available through the department to Graduate English and Medieval Studies students who are presenting at conferences. Please submit a request for funding and a description of your proposed travel to the Graduate English Office.
- Travel funding is available through the Graduate School for PhD students or students who have completed at least 30 credits of coursework toward their degree and are presenting at a conference. The application forms are at the Graduate School webpage linked under Financial Resources to Doctoral Student Travel Award.
- International Travel. Education Abroad Program through Global Affairs now has a mandatory requirement for all graduate students traveling anywhere abroad to register with their department. The $25 registration fee is payable via credit card on the registration form through Global Affairs . Once the insurance application is complete, UConn Global Affairs will enroll you with CISI coverage, the cost of which is covered by the University.
STEP 2: BOOK YOUR TRAVEL
- Airfare. Please book your travel through Sanditz and save your receipts which show proof of payment. If you do not use Sanditz to book your air, lodging, or car rental, you must provide the page from Sanditz for the same date and time showing comparable rate. Be sure to follow the travel policies for airfare, car rental, personal mileage, and train travel.
STEP 3: SAVE RECEIPTS
- During your travel, save all original receipts, boarding passes, etc. Receipts should show proof of payment (e.g. a credit card charge, or proof of cash payment) on the receipts.
- If your trip includes personal time, you cannot be reimbursed for any expenses on those days. You can only receive reimbursement for travel to and from the business destination.
STEP 4: SUBMIT DOCUMENTATION
- As soon as possible after travel, fill out the Travel Checklist cover sheet to be sure you have all required documentation for reimbursement. Be sure to include your name, dates, times of departure and return to and from home, destination, and funding source(s).
- Submit the checklist with your original receipts and documentation to Mary Udal in Austin 234.
- Submit reimbursement requests within 60 days of travel.
STEP 5: REVIEW AND SIGN
- A staff member will fill out the Post-Trip section of the Travel WebForm using the information and receipts provided and make the travel reimbursement request. This will be emailed to you for approval and electronic signature. Staff will send the completed travel reimbursement packet to the Travel Office for final approval.