Department of English Travel Procedures

This page is under construction

As of May 27, 2020, the new Concur Travel & Expense system has officially gone live for all faculty and staff. This system is now the only way you will be able to apply for out-of-pocket reimbursements of any kind, whether they be related to travel or not. Whenever possible, the department should be making all purchases & memberships directly.

In order to make the transition easier for your next out-of-pocket reimbursement, or for your next business trip after the pandemic, please complete the following steps:

1.) Confirm that you are able to access Concur through the link titled “Concur Travel & Expense” at You may need to sign in with your NetID and password, but if it is working okay, your NetID should be the only thing you need to sign in with. 

2.) Apply for the new travel card program through the link below. This is now standard for all travel as it will streamline the process of filling out your expense reports. Included in this application is a request form and a required training session that takes about 20 minutes.

3.) Once you are able to access the Concur system, please confirm your profile information by going to the Profile button on the upper right corner of the screen, selecting Profile Settings, and then opening Personal Information on the next page. Only the fields marked as Required are necessary, but we recommend filling out as much as possible so that the information is already there for future travel. ** DO NOT ADD YOUR PERSONAL CREDIT CARD NUMBER OR PASSPORT TO THIS SECTION **

4.) To help learn the new system, the department has training materials in the works. These will all be available through the Travel page on the English Department website ( Currently, you should see step-by-step instructions on how to set up your profile in Concur and how to complete documentation for out-of-pocket reimbursement not associated with travel.

While more is being made for this page, please access the following 90-minute training videos, which have detailed information on how to navigate the site and use it for requesting travel and filling out expense reports:

Request & Travel Training:

Expense Report Training:

If you have any questions or problems in this process, please reach out to for assistance. This will be an adjustment from previous travel or other out-of-pocket reimbursement methods, but since there is no travel happening at the moment, now is the perfect time to set up your account so that it is ready for future needs.

All travel by faculty, staff, and graduate students must follow the University’s travel policies.

[5-27-2020: material below is out of date and will be removed shortly ]

  • Apply for travel funding from the Office of the Vice President for Research. Under “Contact Information for Office Support Staff,” type Claire Reynolds.
  • Department members traveling should request travel funds BEFORE taking the trip. Once granted,  keep a copy of your Travel Award Letter, which will be emailed to you.
  • If you require parking at Bradley International Airport, request a parking pass on the Concur pre-approval form and one will be sent to you from the Travel Office. Parking expenses from Bradley cannot be reimbursed unless they are in excess of the two weeks provided by the parking services pass. If you have not secured your parking pass within 5 days of your trip, contact Travel at
  • Loose receipts for registration, secondary transportation, train tickets, etc. must be organized and taped with transparent tape onto 8½ by 11-inch sheets of paper.
  • If you have receipts in foreign currency, use the link at the bottom of the Cover Sheet to find the exchange rate for each receipt for the proper date. You can do multiple conversions on the same page. Include this currency conversion page with your paperwork.
  • Reimbursement requests must be submitted within 60 days of the travel. After 60 days, traveler must complete Exception to Policy form and obtain permission from the Department Head.


    [Information forthcoming from the Grad School]

    • Request travel funds BEFORE taking your trip. Once granted, please keep a copy of the award notification and/or email sent to you to submit with reimbursement receipts.
    • Some travel funds for pre-ABD are available through the department to  Graduate English and Medieval Studies students who are presenting at conferences.  Please submit a  request for funding and a description of your proposed travel to the Graduate English Office.
    • Travel funding is available through the Graduate School for PhD students or students who have completed at least 30 credits of coursework toward their degree and are presenting at a conference.  The information is linked under Financial ‘internal’ on their webpage when funding is available.
    • International Travel.  Education Abroad Program through Global Affairs now has a mandatory requirement for all graduate students traveling anywhere abroad to register with their department.  The $25 registration fee is payable via credit card on the registration form at  Once the insurance application is complete, UConn Global Affairs will enroll you with CISI coverage, the cost of which is covered by the University.
    • During your travel, save all original receipts, original boarding passes, etc. Receipts should show proof of payment (e.g. a credit card charge, zero debit balance or proof of cash payment) on the receipts.
    • If your trip includes personal time,  you cannot be reimbursed for any expenses on those days. You can only receive reimbursement for travel to and from the business destination.


    • Submit reimbursement requests within 15 days of travel unless otherwise instructed.