Aetna Chair of Writing
Professor and Aetna Chair of Writing. Storrs.
Specialties and Interest Areas in Research, Service, and Teaching:
Deaf Studies; Disability Studies; disability art and creative expression; universal design, multimodality and access to education; captioning; global disability issues; disability and human rights; teaching college writing; writing program administration; women in higher education; university and community engagement; creative non-fiction.
– Posting Mabel: an epistolary biography of Mabel Hubbard Bell (Alexander Graham Bell’s deaf wife)
– AktionT4: Economics,Euthanasia, Eugenics (a blog about the Nazi’s T4 program that exterminated over 240,000 people with disabilities): http://aktiont4.com/
– Disability and Rhetoric:Â an edited collection of key publications that intersect those two fields (with John Duffy and Drew Holladay)
Published Monographs and Collections:
– Arts and Humanities (vol 8). The SAGE Reference Series on Disability Key Issues and Future Directions.Â (with Elizabeth Brewer, Nicholas Hetrick and Melanie Yergeau).Â Sage Publications, 2012.
– Deaf Subjects: Between Identities and Places.Â New York UP, 2009.
– Disability and/in Prose.Â Co-editor with Marian E. Lupo.Â Routledge, 2008.
Journal Issues, Contributing Editor
– Diversability Ohio, Guest Editor, 2012-2013 Premiere Edition.Â http://www.diversabilityohio.com/index.html
– Prose Studies special double issue, âDisability and/in Prose.âÂ 27.1-2 (2005).
-Â Sign Language Studies special double issue, âNarrating Deaf Lives.â 7.2 (2007).
|Phone||please email instead|
|Mailing Address||University of Connecticut|
Department of English
215 Glenbrook Road, U-4025
Storrs, CT 06269-4025
|Office Location||Austin 119|
|Office Hours||contact for appointment, using my email address|
|Courses||Fall 2019: English 5100: Theory and Teaching of Writing. TUES: 4-6:30pm Spring 2020: English 3003W: Advanced Expository Writing (inquiry focus: Writing Identity). Tues/Thurs. 3:30-4:45pm|